Thursday 8 January 2015

St.Annes Little Gem


I travelled back in time today walking through automatic doors and entered a beautiful early 1900 building that was erected to be the local library. 
From Wiki 

Councillor L S Scott, Chairman of St Anne's on the Sea Urban District Council had been in communication with the American Philanthropist and benefactor of public libraries, Andrew Carnegie and Council Minutes (General Purposes Committee) of 29 June 1903 report that he received "an intimation from Mr Carnegie's private secretary that he would give the sum of £3,500 for the erection of a library"

It had peeling walls, original stain glass windows. ( I must get photo`s to show you) It obviously needs updating but there is something to be said about original buildings holding hundreds of books and that earthy,musty book smell. Something you cant get off your Kindle. I love books, always have and the demise of our libraries is a tragedy. I signed up and got my library "card". At least this is modern in how we take the books out,this saves times but I almost expected to find the old library card catalogues. Would`nt that be a treat?


 I almost feel like the school girl when we had lessons in how to read those darn catalogues. (Amused)
 I have a feeling that are many other little treats to be found in this old seaside town. I can`t wait to find them but I must remember to take my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment